There are so many benefits to establishing a nighttime routine! Having a standard routine you stick to every night ensures you give your body, mind, and soul all the love and support they deserve. Your ideal nighttime routine should be easy and quick enough to stick to each night while promoting health, relaxing your body and mind, and promoting a good night’s sleep.
Of course, you may not be able to get a complete routine in every night, but that’s the thing about self-care; it’s a constant work in progress. We all have to practice slowing down and taking good care of ourselves, so don’t beat yourself up if you don’t get to all of it all of the time! These nighttime self-care suggestions can be incorporated into a nightly routine, or saved up for one indulgent evening per week. Whatever works for you!
Here are some of our favorite wellness routines to support a comprehensive self-care practice:
1. Drink herbal tea. Why drink tea at bedtime? Drinking hot liquids at night is great for moving digestion along and relaxing your body and mind. Herbal teas are ideal because they contain no caffeine, and have tons of health-boosting properties. Our favorites include chamomile, peppermint, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, and lavender as these ingredients are encouraging for digestion, anti-inflammatory, relaxing, and aromatherapeutic. Chamomile, peppermint, and lavender are great for warmer months as they help to cool and calm the body, while ginger, turmeric, and cinnamon are ideal in cooler weather as they help to stimulate circulation and warm you up from the inside out. Mmmmmm now doesn’t that sound nice?
2. Adopt a gratitude practice. What does it mean to practice gratitude? There’s a reason that so many famous people keep a “gratitude journal” – practicing gratitude has been shown to drastically increase our quality of life. The mental benefits are undeniable: tuning in to gratitude encourages positive thinking, which in turn helps build stronger relationships and helps you deal with challenges. You can practice gratitude by sending a simple text to a friend or loved one letting them know you appreciate them, writing down three things that you are grateful for, or simply closing your eyes and meditating on what you are thankful for before bed.
3. Try CBD at bedtime. If you have never tried CBD to promote sleep, you are in for a treat. One of the most common uses for CBD is to help with insomnia and promote rest by enriching your endocannabinoid system (that in turn allows you to properly regulate sleep. Anti-inflammatory properties, also allow your body to enter a deeper sate of sleep). Try our CBD transdermal patches to help you relax or ease any light pain. A half dropperful of our CBD Full Spectrum Oil Drops or CBD lip balm is also a great place to start!
4. Take a soak in the bath. Is there anything more classically relaxing than a bath? Ahhhh. Baths are known to help reduce anxiety and loosen muscles thanks to the warm, hydrating environment. Bathtime is also a wonderful place to bring relaxing aromatherapy into your evening – like a lavender salt soak or a ylang ylang incense. Our brand new CBD Bath Bombs are an easy addition to your tub – they are made with all-natural, skin-loving ingredients that fizz gently and release therapeutic essential oils into your system as you bathe. Bonus points if you bring your tea and cannabis into the bath, too 😉 Now there’s a great way to get all of your nightly routine in at once!
5. Find a facial care routine that works for your skin. Adopting a regular facial care routine at bedtime helps you get and keep that gorgeous, glowing complexion. It doesn’t have to be anything complicated – even a simple cleansing and moisturizing routine goes a long way! Your skin is exposed to toxins, free radicals, and harsh sunlight throughout the day and benefits from being reset at night. Right before bed is a great time to apply deep moisture or masks to your face and hair as leaving them in overnight allows your skin to fully absorb all of that goodness.
Getting ready for bed is about more than brushing your teeth and changing into your jammies. The time we spend asleep is vital time for our bodies to reset and repair, both inside and out. Having a healthy, balanced routine is essential for keeping your body and mind in tip-top shape! These are just a few recommendations for pampering your skin and soothing your soul at night, but there are a thousand other options, too. What’s important is that you find what works best for you in order to slow down and find time to take care of yourself before your head hits the pillow.
Do you have a nighttime routine you practice to support a good night’s sleep? Please share it with us in the comments below!!